Thursday, August 26, 2010

Children's Church

When you walk into most churches today and sit down with your child(ren) you may have an usher come up to you and offer to take your child(ren) to "children's church". What is children's church? It is said to be an area set aside just for children usually around twelve and under where they can learn a kid-friendly version of the Word and the things of God.

While it sounds nice to bring the Word of the Lord down to a child's level, how does it really effect them when they are taken away from the sanctuary and away from the sermon that the Lord has given to the spiritual leader to color pictures, memorize bible verses and eat snacks? Aren't these activities supposed to be done in Sunday School before service?

When I was coming up we didn't have children's church. We sat our happy selves right in the pews next to our parents and if Momma was singing in the choir loft I knew I better not move because she would cut her eye at me to let me know that I was gonna get it after church if I didn't straighten up.

Although as a child it was boring to sit in a long service, it rooted and grounded me. One day I found myself listening to the preacher instead of daydreaming about what I wanted to do when I got home. As a young adult I was disciplined enough to be able to sit and listen to what God had to say through His servant who was delivering the message. Most church services today only last about two hours, our services usually were no less than four!

Yes children do get wrestless when sitting for long periods of time but isn't this the time to train them in the way that they should go? Did they have children's church in the days when Jesus walked the earth preaching the gospel? Maybe children's church simply gives parents a break while they are trying to be fed spiritually and helps them learn about Christ in a different way at the same time. Here's the question, does this new age concept hurt or help our children's spiritual development especially regarding discipline and is everybody doing it just because everybody is doing it? Just a thought to make you think. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment